Principal Engineer | Lake County Stormwater Management Commission
Posted on Jul 20, 2021
Are you looking for a challenging role within an organization that provides rewarding compensation, an excellent benefit package and career growth opportunities? If so, Lake County Government is the place for you. Comprised of nearly 3,000 employees, it is our goal to positively serve the residents of Lake County while working with a purpose. We believe our employees should take pride in the work they accomplish while truly respecting a collaborative work environment.
The primary function of this position will be to provide permit reviews for the Lake County Stormwater Management Commission’s Watershed Development Ordinance. This position is responsible for performing technical work to conduct regulatory reviews of land development project applications, engineering drawings, calculations, and computer modeling. The position is under general direction.
You will have endless opportunities to impact and make a difference within Lake County. Being able to build working relationships with employees, county departments and the public, is sure to keep you interested and continuously learning.
- Additional responsibilities include performing work of considerable difficulty for a variety of complex engineering and watershed project assignments related to:
- flood mitigation
- drainage-problem investigation and resolution
- green infrastructure best management practices
- sediment and erosion control
- surface water quality
- The Principal Engineer will coordinate and assist internal and external regulatory staff to provide effective customer service ensuring an efficient and compliant regulatory process.
Knowledge Skills Abilities and Education Required
- The successful candidate must possess strong communications skills, conduct independent research and site-specific drainage analyses, and the ability to concisely explain complex engineering to a wide range of stakeholders from property owners and the general public, to Local, State, and Federal government entities.
- The applicant must have thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, to schedule and conduct meetings, gather, organize, and analyze data or information related to the assigned permit applications, review design plans for regulatory compliance, analyze and run hydrologic & hydraulic models, and compile and distribute administrative and technical comments.
- Direct experience with the Lake County WDO is preferred.
Education and/or Licenses Required
- A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field and at least 4 years of related experience.
- Previous work or knowledge related to floodplain and natural resource regulations, drainage problem resolution, or consulting engineering is a plus, as is knowledge of the Energov land management system and electronic plan review software.
- Possession of a Professional Engineer (PE) license from the State of Illinois or equivalent is required.
- You must also possess a valid Driver’s License, supplemented by a satisfactory driving record.
Performs light to medium work that occasionally involves walking or standing and also involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on an infrequent basis.
The position is exposed to bright/dim light; dusts and pollen; extreme heat and/or cold; wet or humid conditions; extreme noise levels; traffic; and moving machinery.
$76,700.00 - $98,300.00 Annually
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit our Prospective Employee page to get additional information on why you should work for Lake County!
To learn more about the department you will be working for, visit SMC. To learn more about other services Lake County provides and to see some of our employees in action, visit our website to view videos.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
500 W. Winchester Road, Suite 201
Libertyville, IL 60048
How to apply
Link to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lakecountyil/jobs/3145450/principal-engineer/apply?sort=PostingDate%7CDescending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs