IAFSM was founded in 1986 by professionals interested in and responsible for floodplain and stormwater management in the State of Illinois.
The IAFSM is a local chapter of the Association of State Floodplain Managers. Our objectives are to:
- To promote public awareness of proper floodplain and stormwater management;
- To promote the professional status of floodplain and stormwater management and secure all benefits resulting therefrom;
- To promote a liaison between individuals concerned with proper floodplain and stormwater management and to encourage the exchange of ideas;
- To keep individuals concerned with proper floodplain and stormwater management well informed through educational and professional seminars and to provide a method for dissemination of information, both general and technical;
- To inform concerned individuals of pending floodplain and stormwater legislation and other related floodplain and stormwater management matters; and
- To study and support legislation pertinent and necessary to the effective implementation of floodplain and stormwater management matters.
The four elected officers: Chair, Vice- Chair, Secretary and Treasurer with the immediate past chair form the Executive Committee. The Board of Directors includes the Executive Committee and all Committee Chairs. Committee chairs welcome assistance and input from interested members. Please see our Committees page for the contact information for each committee chair.
The IAFSM publishes a newsletter to inform members on important topics such as current legislation, local activities, hazard mitigation, new state and federal programs, publications, conferences, workshops, and job openings.
The IAFSM holds an Annual Conference each spring. Its location varies throughout the State. In addition, we hold seminars throughout the year on current topics of interest to our members. If you have an idea for a twilight seminar, send an email to our Chair, Dallas Alley at email@example.com.
Members of IAFSM gain the ability to communicate a uniform position on current concerns, rule changes, local programs and other issues impacting floodplain management. We would like to invite you to join us and work together to promote sound floodplain and stormwater management. IAFSM membership provides an unique opportunity to communicate and share ideas with fellow professionals in private industry, municipal government, and state and federal agencies.