CFM – About
The Illinois Association for Floodplain and Stormwater Management (IAFSM) has been recognized as an Accredited Chapter by the Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM). Through this recognition, IAFSM, along with other Accredited Chapters partnered with ASFPM to establish the Certified Floodplain Manager® program. This program recognizes continuing education and professional development to enhance the knowledge and performance of local, state, federal, and private-sector floodplain managers.
Due to increases in disasters and flood losses, the role of the floodplain manager is expanding and drawing more attention. As most floodplain managers come from a wide range of careers and backgrounds, there is no college-level degree program for floodplain management. This certification program lays the foundation for ensuring highly qualified individuals are available to meet the challenge of breaking the current cycle of flood losses; thus stopping its negative drain on the nation’s human, financial, and natural resources.
The primary objective of the Illinois Certified Floodplain Manager Program (ICFMP) is to help reduce flood losses and protect and enhance the natural resources and functions of Illinois’ floodplains by improving the knowledge and abilities of floodplain managers. The ICFMP will achieve this objective by:
- Formalizing a procedure to recognize individuals’ knowledge of floodplain management;
- Providing an incentive for people to improve their knowledge of floodplain management;
- Promote an understanding of relevant subject matter that is consistent statewide;
- Encouraging professional training by requiring testing to obtain certification;
- Encouraging professional training by requiring continuing education as a condition for maintaining certification;
- Improving the recognition of floodplain management as a specific discipline; and
- Increasing the status of floodplain managers as knowledgeable professionals in a complex and important field.
Benefits of being certified
- Validation of knowledge.
- Enhanced credibility.
- Increased marketability.
- Increased earning power.
- Improved reputation.
- Increased confidence.
- Respect from peers.
Download our charter.
For questions regarding the certification exam(s), please contact IAFSM CFM Administrator:
Anita L. Larson, Certification Coordinator
8301 Excelsior Drive
Madison, WI 53717
Tel: 608-828-3000, Fax: 608-828-6319