Civil Engineer III | City of Champaign
Posted on Nov 19, 2021
The City of Champaign offers an excellent career opportunity for a Civil Engineer III to work in the Environmental Section of the Public Works Department, Engineering Division.
The City of Champaign, Illinois, is a vibrant community in east Central, Illinois. Home to the University of Illinois, Champaign is growing with new subdivisions, high-tech commercial and retail developments, and has experienced a rebirth of its Downtown and Campustown areas, providing new businesses and urban living opportunities. Champaign has a high-quality built environment with attractive lifestyle amenities such as a short commute time; affordable living; close proximity to major Midwest cities such as Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis; access to award winning public transportation; beautiful parks and public trail system; plus all of the cultural and diverse opportunities that come with living in a renowned Big Ten university town.
Responsibilities of Position
Duties for this position include (but are not limited to): overseeing the design, construction, management, and operation of large stormwater infrastructure improvement projects in coordination with a project team; planning and budgeting of stormwater improvements; construction observation; measurement and documentation of construction materials and quantities; communicating with contractors, project partners, and property owners; and supervision of engineering technicians.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university and at least six years of experience as a Civil Engineer – OR - Master's degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university and four years of experience.
- Professional Engineer registration in the State of Illinois or in another state with the ability to obtain Illinois registration within six months of hire.
- Availability to work outside of normal work hours as needed.
- Experience with field surveying, construction plans and specifications, construction standards, and construction observation.
- Current, valid state-issued driver's license and a good driving record.
- Master’s degree in an applicable branch of Civil Engineering, Business or Public Administration.
- Previous municipal, county, state or Federal engineering experience.
- Customer service experience with engineering project management and delivery.
- Experience supervising the work of a team or work unit.
- Previous project management experience (e.g., planning, cost estimating, budgeting, and managing) with public stormwater/drainage infrastructure improvement projects.
- Basic knowledge of engineering specific software (e.g., CAD, GIS, etc.).
Drug screening will be required.
The annual starting salary range is $88,170 - $100,378, depending on qualifications, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Regular full- and part-time Non-Bargaining Unit exempt employees receive paid sick leave, personal leave, vacation, and 10 City holidays per year. Other benefits include health insurance, life insurance, and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension plan, and access to a variety of other programs, such as a tax-deferred savings plan, the Municipal Employees Credit Union, and an Employee Computer Purchase Program.
102 N Neil St
Champaign, IL 61820