The Association of State Floodplain Managers is an organization of professionals involved in floodplain management, flood hazard mitigation, the National Flood Insurance Program, and flood preparedness, warning and recovery. The group has become a respected voice in floodplain management practice and policy in the United States because it represents the flood hazard specialists of local, state and federal government, the research community, the insurance industry, and the fields of engineering, hydraulic forecasting, emergency response, water resources, and others.
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources/Office of Water Resources is the State Agency charged with managing the rivers, lakes, and stream of Illinois. The IDNR/OWR has a variety of resources to help local officials with floodplain management.
The Natural Hazards Center at the University of Colorado in Boulder, is a national and international clearinghouse for information on natural hazards and human adjustments to hazards and disasters. The Center's prime goal is to increase communication among hazard/disaster researchers and those individuals, agencies, and organizations that are actively working to reduce disaster damage and suffering.
The National Weather Service, Office of Hydrologic Development: On this web site, you will find the Low-Water Crossing Video Tour, the Low-Water Crossing Driving Quiz and instructions how to obtain a copy of the 8-1/2 minute video, "The Hidden Danger, Low-Water Crossing". The video has been highly acclaimed by emergency managers, rescue organizations, driver training instructors, state and local highway, principals, etc.
Disaster Resource Guide: The Guide has information from more than 150 companies with products and services in safety, emergency management, and business recovery.
The Louisiana Floods website of the Louisiana State University's Extension has the nation's largest and most up to date collection of links on floodproofing and other flood protection information for homeowners.
Federal Emergency Management Agency
National Weather Service Flood Data
Association of State Wetlands Managers
International Association of Emergency Managers
Illinois State Water Survey - Coordinated Hazard Assessment and Mapping Program (ISWS-CHAMP)
ASFPM State Chapters
- Arizona Floodplain Management Assn
- Arkansas Floodplain Management Assn
- Ohio Floodplain Management Association
- Oklahoma Floodplain Managers Association
- North Carolina Association of Floodplain Managers
- Texas Floodplain Management Association
Illinois Associations / Organizations
- Illinois Chapter of the American Planning Association (ILAPA)
- American Institute of Architects Illinois
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Illinois Section
- Central Illinois Section of ASCE
- Illinois Society of Professional Engineers (ISPE)
- Illinois Professional Land Surveyors Association (IPLSA)
- Illinois Association of Drainage Districts (IADD)
- Illinois Association of County Board Members and Commissioners (IACBMC)
- Illinois Association of County Engineers (IACE)
- Illinois Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects