The 2023 IAFSM Annual Conference was held March 14-15 at the Tinley Park Convention Center. This conference had the largest attendance to date with almost 640 attendees.
We had 16 exhibitors at the conference. They got a lot of attention from the attendees.
Two tours were provided for attendees:
Lake Lorin Tour
Addison Creek Reservoir Tour
IAFSM would like to thank our generous sponsors that participated this year:
Baxter & Woodman, Inc.
Christopher B. Burke Engineering, Ltd.
Engineering Resource Associates
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc.
HR Green, Inc.
Ciorba Group, Inc.
Civiltech Engineering, Inc.
Crawford, Murphy & Tilly, Inc.
Engineering Enterprises, Inc.
Eveready Flood Control, Limited
Hey and Associates, Inc.
Michael Baker International
Molly O’Toole & Associates
Pinnacle Engineering Group
WBK Engineering, LLC
Bleck Engineering Co., Inc.
Horner & Shifrin
Weaver Consultants Group
The Young Professional Group awarded 6 conference scholarships to college students studying topics related to objective of IAFSM.
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Dr. John Foley, Project Drawdown
1A Floodplain Management
* How to Calculate Structural Flood Damages
* The Multiple Benefits of Floodplain Easements: An Assessment of Demand for Floodplain Easements in the Upper Mississippi River Basin
* Multi-Benefit Floodplain Development in Illinois? A Workshop for the Private Sector
1C Stormwater Management
* Value Engineering and Strategic Timing to Move Forward with a Gully Erosion and Stormwater Project
* The School Springs Mitigation and Restoration
* Replacement of the Nettle Creek Aqueduct
1D Riverine Flooding
* From Modeled to Mapped: How to Delineate a Floodplain
* Fullersburg Dam Removal & Salt Creek Restoration
* Stratton-Bolger Lock & Dam Project: The Engineering & Construction of a Key Water Control Structure for Illinois
* ASFPM Foundation & Scholarship Program
* French & Mary Lou Wetmore Award for Lifetime Achievement
2A Green Infrastructure
* Green Infrastructure Guidelines for Transportation Projects
* Constructed Wetlands to Reduce Nutrients From Cropland Runoff: Implications for Urban Stormwater - Design and Construction Considerations
* Alternative Procurement Strategies for Green Infrastructure
2D Flood Insurance/Community Rating System
* Community Rating System (CRS) Program Credits and Activities
* RR 2.0 Top Myths & Facts - Helping Floodplain Mangers Better Understand Risk Rating 2.0
* Update of Silver Jackets Projects
3A Floodplain Management
* IDNR Office of Water Resources Permit Program for NE Illinois
* Floodplain Management - The Basics (1 Hour Session)
3B Stormwater Management
* Impacts of Watershed Specific Release Rates on Disproportionately Impacted Communities in Cook County
* St. Peters, MO Willott Road
* The Fresh Coast Protection Partnership- Green Infrastructure Implementation in the Milwaukee Metropolitan Region
* Value Added 3D Modeling – Eagle Creek Flood Risk Reduction Project
* IAFSM Recommendations for H&H Modeling
* HEC-RAS 2D as a Tool for Stream Restoration Design and Permitting
* IAFSM Legislation Committee Workshop (90-minute Session)
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
IAFSM Board Meeting
*Erica Gies, Author of Water Always Wins: Thriving in an age of drought and deluge.
4C Stormwater Management/Water Quality
* Wilmette Stormwater Action Plan - Planning and Implementation of the Largest Capital Project in the Village's History
* Alternative Approach to Native Maintenance Program Management
* BMPs to Control Peoria Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs)
4D Rainfall Technical Analysis
* What shape is your rain? A case study of precipitation distributions
* New At-Streamgage Quantiles and Regression Equations for Estimating Peak-Flow Quantiles in Illinois
* Hydrology/Meteorology Outreach Using the WARDS Watershed Model
5A Stormwater Management
* Volume Control: Alternatives to Infiltration
* Infrastructure Investments in Lake County Part 1: The Unofficial Guide to Getting Grants
* Mahoney Creek Watershed Planning and Project Implementation: Batavia, IL
5B Floodplain Management
* How to Complete a Substantial Damage/Substantial Improvement Evaluations
* LOMR-F: What is Reasonably Safe from Flooding?
* LOMR Common Application Issues and Community Sign Off Considerations
5C Stormwater Management
* FEQ for the Municipal/Review Engineer (90-Minute Session)
* What I Wish I Knew: Strategic Career Planning for New Engineers
* Building Inclusive Partnerships Through Effective Outreach and Engagement
* Life Lessons from a Major Golf Course Renovation on an Existing Landfill