Emergency Management Specialist, Mitigation (Open 9/12/23-9/26/23) | FEMA Region V
Posted on Sep 12, 2023
The ideal candidates for these positions will have experience with the floodplain management requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), possess exceptional oral and written communication. The positions start at a salary of $76,990 (GS-11), with promotion potential to $92,279 (GS-12 grade level). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Region Five's team within FEMA.
In this position, you will coordinate and support the delivery of regional mitigation programs and community planning resources of Federal, State, local, tribal, territorial, nongovernmental organizations, and private sector governments needed to effectively plan for, manage, and implement hazard mitigation (HM) activities in large, unique, or catastrophic incidents. Typical assignments include:
- Possess exceptional customer service, oral and written communication, public speaking, and administrative skills.
- Evaluating participating National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) community ordinances and the enforcement of floodplain management regulation, which will mitigate the effects of flooding on new or improved structures and other development.
- Documenting non-compliance with NFIP floodplain management regulations and provides guidance to state and local officials on necessary corrective actions.
- Providing training and technical support to participating NFIP community and state officials in the implementation of their floodplain management programs and regulations in both non-disaster and disaster environments.
- Participating in public meetings to promote the NFIP, provide flood risk awareness and mitigation techniques to reduce the physical and financial impact of flood damages.
- Coordinating with other components of FEMA and other federal agencies to advance sound floodplain management practices and processes.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Please go to: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/748630800 for more details.
Salary and Benefits
Salary $76,990 - $119,964 per year
Pay scale & grade GS 11 - 12
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select “Benefits.” Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
FEMA Region V
536 S Clark
Chicago, IL 60605