Stormwater Engineer | Hanson Professional Services Inc.
Posted on Oct 14, 2019
We are committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business. If you are looking for a firm that encourages innovative thinking and challenges you every day, with an opportunity to learn and advance, a career at Hanson is right for you.
The belief in sustainability within our company’s practices creates a focus on client success and building lasting partnerships that are important to our communities and our environment. At the core of our environmental practice is the desire to be good stewards of the public’s resources while incorporating improvements into the surrounding environment. As engineering professionals, we plan, design and permit infrastructure projects across the U.S. and abroad. Your work at Hanson will balance the societal benefits of the built-environment with nature.
Hanson Professional Services Inc. is seeking a candidate to fill a Stormwater Engineer position in the Peoria, Illinois office or Lisle, Illinois office (Chicago Region). Other Hanson office locations may be considered.
The successful candidate is expected to complete drainage related design tasks for infrastructure projects. It is important to understand that this position will support project teams from initial planning through design and into construction. Projects will generally involve roadway and highway design projects for local governments, state departments of transportation, toll authorities, and private clients. This position will report to the Associate Water Resources Discipline Manager within the Environmental Practice.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
Experience with preparing Phase 1 storm water management studies, including Location Drainage Studies and conceptual drainage studies related to roadway improvements. Responsible for design of permanent and temporary drainage (open and closed systems) on roadway projects. Provide hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, storm water detention/retention design, erosion/sediment control plans, and coordinate design of storm water facilities with other disciplines. Position will also provide utility coordination and permit development as wells as prepare quantity calculations, cost estimates, and special provisions for Phase II plan and contract development. Technical writing, Construction observation, Familiarity with green infrastructure research and design preferred, but not required.
- Experience with Microstation, PowerGeopak (OpenRoads SS4), Civil 3D, and ArcGIS software a plus.
- Experience with storm sewer, culvert, and detention/retention basin design software is strongly desired.
- Collaborating with technical staff and the ability to work effectively in a team oriented environment
- Must demonstrate the ability to present complex technical concepts to engineers, project managers, clients, and public stakeholders
- Must be able to build effective relationships with internal and external client bases
- Strong oral communication and technical writing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering
- 0 to 5 years of drainage related experience
- Professional Engineer license (IL) or ability to reciprocate from another state within 6 months is a plus
- FE / EIT Certification or must obtain within the first 6 months of employment
- Familiarity with Illinois Tollway and IDOT roadway and drainage design standards is a plus
Working at Hanson:
- Must be able to collaborate remotely with colleagues in other offices.
- Candidate must be willing to accept out-of-town travel assignments.
- Must be willing to work overtime to meet project demands when needed.
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY — AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERANS
As an employee-owned company, we value our firm’s two greatest assets — our staff and our clients. Hanson strives to create a workplace environment that challenges and rewards ambitious, highly-qualified and service-oriented employees who go the extra mile to give our clients the best possible results. These efforts help us maintain our status as one of the top firms in the engineering industry.
We offer a competitive compensation program and a comprehensive employee benefits package designed to meet your professional, personal and family needs. Highlights of our benefits include a 401(k) plan with matching contribution, an Employee Stock Ownership Trust plan and stock purchase program, comprehensive medical insurance, professional development, employee recognition, flexible scheduling and a wellness program.
A detailed summary of all of Hanson's employee benefits can be found here.
Peoria, Chicago Regional Office in Lisle